Joe Mimran is a leading contributor to the fashion and design industry and is best-known for creating a succession of visionary brands and retail concepts, including Club Monaco, Caban, Joe Fresh, Joe Fresh Beauty and Alfred Sung. Recognized universally as having a sharp eye, impeccable attention to detail, and insight into emerging trends, Joe is always on the forefront of what’s next. Joe is also an avid investor and champions exceptional entrepreneurs. Joe also stars on the popular CBC show, Dragons Den, now in its 12th season.
Chronology of entrepreneurial ventures:
- In 1978 Joe co-founded a manufacturing apparel business in Toronto Canada.
- In 1980 the Company launched the Alfred Sung brand which achieved immediate consumer acceptance and success. While the company controlled the design and manufacturing of the women’s collection the company embarked on expanding the brand into a myriad of consumer products under license. In 2013 Joe sold his interest.
- In 1985 Joe founded Club Monaco, a vertical retail concept known for its distinctive minimalistic style and monochromatic palette. Club Monaco instantly became a cult brand that grew to over 150 stores in Canada, US, and Asia.
- In 2000, Club Monaco and Caban it’s home products lifestyle concept, were purchased by Ralph Lauren, marking Ralph Lauren’s first-ever acquisition.
- In 2001 Joe created Joseph Mimran and Associates. a consulting practice that has serviced numerous high profile international retailers, including Holt Renfrew, Saks Fifth Avenue, Woolworths, South Africa, Coles a major food retailer in Australia and Loblaws, Staples US and Kroger.
- In 2003 Joe created a range of home products for Loblaws under the Presidents Choice brands.
- In 2006 Joe created the Joe Fresh concept for Loblaws. He oversaw the brand’s design and retail concepts, and made it the country's second largest apparel brand in dollars and units, with a vision of well-designed, well-priced clothes for a broad audience. Joe Fresh is sold in over 350 Loblaw stores in Canada and abroad.
- In addition to PC home in 2009 to Joe was also responsible for general merchandise products including the design, sourcing and presentation of all the GM private label brands.
- Joe retired from his position as Creative Director of Joe Fresh and General Merchandise in 2014.
Joe’s community efforts have included Chairman of the Fashion Design Council of Canada and honorary Chairman of the inaugural Canadian Arts and Fashion Awards. Joe has been the recipient of many industry awards including the Canadian Style Award and the lifetime achievement award by the Design Exchange. in 2015, Joe was inducted into Canada's Marketing Legends Hall of Fame. A patron of the arts, Mimran’s philanthropic activities include support of the Art Gallery of Ontario, the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts, New Museum, New York and is a Luminaire for Luminato Arts Festival.
An avid traveler and art collector, Joe divides his time between Toronto and New York and is the father of four wonderful children.